We assess facilities prior to the experience, without visiting them, in line with the intended application of the Tool. No publicly available information prior to 2019 is considered in the assessment process. We constantly engage with facilities, operators, and visitors who approach us about any support recommendation, and we review and update assessments where necessary.
Our searchable, interactive map of South Africa shows the location of the captive wildlife tourism facilities, colour coded per our support level recommendation.
How to do your own assessment
- Make sure that you work through the Guidelines.
- Apply the Decision Tool to a facility based on your own research about the facility.
- Use the following image on Page 19 of the SATSA Captive Wildlife Attractions & Activities Guidelines to guide your decision based on the information at hand:
- Support Level 2 – facilities with 2 ‘no’ answers to Question 6
- Support Level 3 – facilities with 1 ‘no’ answer to Question 6
- Support Level 4 – facilities with 0 ‘no’ answers to Question 6